|Project by Karson||posted 11-10-2011 09:37 PM||1913 views||4 times favorited||12 comments|
This is part 2 of the Mason Dixon Toy-making effort for 2011.
The first is a Dinosaur rocking “Horse”. I finished putting the rockers on 50 of them on Wed. Other people did a paint touch-up where I was a little light on some places. They also painted the eyes. To do the eyes I took a Forstner bit and ground the center out so that we would drill an outer ring. They then painted the inner part and came back and painted a black pupil in the middle.
The platform was cut on a big circle jig on a band saw, I routed the upper surface using a jig and a pattern router bit to make it flat in the center so that the platform boards could be screwed and glued down. The Dino was screwed to the platform using 3” – 5/16 Lags I found that the easiest to put in the lags was using one of the new cordless Hammer type drills. I used a hex shank – 1/2” socket and drove the screws into the legs. The legs were all pre-drilled through it’s platform so the spacing would match.
The game toy was made with 3/8” popular 2 X 2” square. The painted dots were drilled with a hole plug cutter and were drilled about 1/16” deep. They were then painted with paint pens that you can buy at craft stores. Colored Sharpies might also work.
The third picture gives you to coloring necessary if you want to make a few of these.
The instructions show the shape that needs to be made and contains these words.
“Can you arrange the wooden tiles so that every colored dot matches the corresponding dot on the adjoining tile???”
A small platform was made to hold the tiles and a dowel was inserted through the center of each tile to keep them in place.
We made 119 Dinosaurs and 150 Matching Tile game.
I’ve still got 12 more Dino’s to spray green and put rockers on 65. But we will get them finished before Dec 1st. The paint is a mix and is very thick. I’ve got to pressurize the paint pot to 35 lbs to get it to go up the hose to the paint gun. I’m using a Harbor Freight gun that has a 4’ hose between the paint canister and the gun. It doesn’t atomize at all but the paint dries fairly smooth.
The runners were cutout of 2 X 10 and we could get 4 out of each section. We would make the first cut and then put a 2” spacer in and move the board up and cut again. another spacer another cut, Until we got them all cut. The body, legs, seat were all cut from 2X6 and 2X8 as necessary. The platform was 1” popular.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia email@example.com †