LumberJocks

Rigid Jointer Mobile Base

  • Advertise with us
Project by vrice posted 894 days ago 2493 views 10 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I have been complaining for several years about my Rigid Jointer. Due to the size of my shop I don’t have a place I can park this thing and leave it. However moving this heavy beast around has been a major pain. I was recently inspired by some posts on LJ. Greg Wurst posted a Sketchup model AND atceric posted a build of Greg’s project. Finally one of the comments to atceric’s project was from mikedrums showing a cool cam arrangement for lowering and lifting a set of casters. So…......I combined all this and created a jointer stand. WORKS GREAT. The only issue I’ve noticed is this jointer is quite top heavy. When I have it up on the casters it is quite easy to push in the wrong direction and tip the bloody thing over. I’m thinking of putting a small set of “outriggers” on this stand to solve that problem. Otherwise you need to always be pushing along the line of the table, NOT perpendicular to it. Other than that this thing is a MAJOR improvement for me in my shop. I’ve got a full Sketchup model for this thing, just haven’t figured out where to post it yet.
Built this thing entirely from scrap around my shop. I also happened to have a left over steel rod and steel tube. The OD of the rod matched the ID of the tube. I used the tube to cut some bushings that I inserted into several of the wood parts as can be seen in the photos. Took this approach to minimize any degrading of holes by the rod. Then I cut a length of rod on which the peddle rotates.

-- Vic Rice





9 comments so far

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

580 posts in 1280 days


#1 posted 894 days ago

Just regarding the Sketchup model, you can share this with others directly from Sketchup.

With the project open, click on File/3D Models/Share Model and a pop-up will ask you to log into a Google account.

(If you don’t have one already, you can create one by clicking on ‘Create an account now’ – and following the steps.)

Once you are logged in, you can enter details about your model, and upload it for others to use.

They can find it by using File/3D Warehouse/Get Models and searching for the name of the model that you publish (on LJ eg) or by your Google nickname.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View muleskinner's profile

muleskinner

628 posts in 936 days


#2 posted 894 days ago

I’m wondering if simply moving your casters out to the edges of their mounting board would lessen the tippyness. And/or lessen the ground clearance by adding to the bottom of the side runners.

-- Visualize whirled peas

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13335 posts in 2172 days


#3 posted 894 days ago

Nice mobile base.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View vrice's profile

vrice

71 posts in 1191 days


#4 posted 894 days ago

Thanks Don! I just uploaded the Sketchup model as “Rigid Jointer Mobile Base”.

-- Vic Rice

View vrice's profile

vrice

71 posts in 1191 days


#5 posted 893 days ago

Yes, muleskinner, I’m definitely moving the casters out as far as possible.

-- Vic Rice

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

580 posts in 1280 days


#6 posted 893 days ago

Vic, I see from your Sketchup model that those casters could go a lot further apart!

One other point, you could put the dimensions on their own layer so that they can be made non visible.

(and the full and exploded views could go in a separate scenes – or am I now gilding a lily ? :-) )

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

14500 posts in 1688 days


#7 posted 893 days ago

Nice!

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View Mike's profile

Mike

284 posts in 1187 days


#8 posted 893 days ago

I have the same jointer. I am so glad that I don’t need to move that aircraft carrier around the shop. I am thinking though that the base you designed would work well with my table saw though. Great job!

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

View vrice's profile

vrice

71 posts in 1191 days


#9 posted 893 days ago

Well I was able to move each caster out another inch, giving me an extra two inches in the total caster width. This made a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the stability. Just wasn’t thinking when I put them where I did originally. Made these changes to the Sketchup model on Google.

-- Vic Rice

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase