|Project by jfk4032||posted 10-27-2011 01:16 PM||2322 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I started reading up on intarsia earlier this year and thought this was an area of woodworking I would like to get into. I purchased a handful of books, researched many pieces online at LJ and other forums, and read up on the techniques used by JGR, Kathy Wise and others. I had some of the needed equipment and tools and have continued to accumulate some more as I go.
I actually completed this project during the Summer while taking an intarsia class at a nearby Woodcraft store, but immediately got busy into two other portrait projects and forgot to post this piece.
I cut, shaped and sanded this JGR whale at the intarsia class and finished and glued it up back home. I used poplar and cedar for the piece with walnut for the eye. I learned a lot working on this piece…the cutting wasn’t too bad and neither was the shaping. But, the gluing presented me with some challenges. The pressure I used from the sides to get the glue to set caused the tail piece and the jaw piece to rise up a little. By the time I noticed this the glue had already taken hold. Next time I’ll lay the pieces on a flat surface and use that leverage while apply pressure from the sides. I may also use CA glue on the edges before gluing it to the backing.
I know I’ve seen it posted by many more experienced intarsia folks to just jump in and try it and don’t be intimidated…which is what I did. I learned a lot and look forward to progressing into this more. I already purchased 3 more JGR beginner patterns and started working on several custom designed patterns as well.
I have to build some shelving for my basement and also in my workshop before I can get back into intarsia, but I’m hoping by the end of the year, I can start up again with it.
-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!