|Project by ShaneA||posted 10-27-2011 03:50 AM||2108 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
Fresh out of the shop. Rocking horse based on the plans available at Rockler. It is made of 6/4 poplar (I looked at the construction grade wood at the big box, but I could not go there), with a walnut seat. Cut up mop for the mane and tail. My daughter seems happy with it, so what more is there? The face was painted by mom, I lack the talent to even attempt that part.
All, in all, I think I underestimated this project. Took longer than I thought, and had some things I was not used to. I usually do not incorporate any curves into my projects, and the compound angles for the legs and feet where they meet the base, took a while to work out.
I was not overly impressed with the plans. The person who wrote them didnt seem like a woodworker per se. So I found some of her instructions strange. Plus the directions were printed on both sides of a large sheet of paper. Which also contained the shapes for the cutouts. That was chincy in my opinion. If you were to cut out the shapes the directions would be lost. So you needed to copy it, which I did not, onto a large sheet of paper if you wanted to trace.
I am just happy the kid likes it, hopefully she will continue to play with it for a while.