|Project by richgreer||posted 10-25-2011 04:53 PM||1695 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
This project started as a carpentry project when I put in the floor (raised 14” above the sanctuary floor) and built the half walls. Then it became a woodworking project when I built the lockable compartment with the tambour top, added oak trim to the top of the walls and built custom drawers. I also built a storage closet at the back.
I purchased a pre-made tambour top from Woodwaves, Inc. and I would recommend them to anyone considering a project like this. In theory, one can make their own tambour top, but I think the money spent (about $150) was money well spent. The top is of excellent qiuality.
Since the studs are not secured to a ceiling, I used 3/4 inch plywood for the inside walls to add rigidity to the half walls. It works well. Those walls are solid.
If you have seen my other recent projects you will know that I’ve been working on numerous projects for our church. You will also note that we have done everything in oak with bloodwood trim. On this project I used bloodwood for the handles on the drawers and the tambour top.
Some might notice the dados cut into the little short door and wonder what they are for. I cut those dados after I discovered that the slides for the drawers scratched the door when I opened the drawers. You might call that an on-the-fly design change.
Next project – - An advent wreath that is consistent in design with everything else. Of course, I have to have that done by the end of November.
-- Rich, Cedar Rapids, IA - I'm a woodworker. I don't create beauty, I reveal it.