|Project by hairy||posted 10-22-2011 05:20 AM||1364 views||3 times favorited||11 comments|
I had fun with this challenge. It’s a bandsaw box. I started with a big piece of catalpa firewood.
I got 2 sides fairly flat and square with handplanes.
Now I could bandsaw it down to size to go through my jointer and planer. I resawed a top, middle and bottom sections.
At this point I realized it was too thick to match the rest of the dimensions. I decided to not use the bottom piece. I made the bottom and the front of the box as one piece, from the piece I cut out to make the inside of the box. A design change that isn’t damage control, a first time for me.
This piece of catalpa has a few cracks in it. I flooded the cracks with CA glue. It should work.
The glue up was not too bad, I saved the cutoffs, they did the trick.
I used a spokeshave to round over the top. That’s my favorite tool now.
The cross is half lapped.
I rubbed on some General Java gel stain to give it a nicer look.
It holds a good supply of candy. I’ll use it on Halloween when I’m giving candy to the kids.
Catalpa. 4 and 1/2” thick x 7” wide x 13 and 1/2” long.
-- on Wednesday's I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea...