Table saw rolling cart and accessories, upgrades

  • Advertise with us
Project by AcetolaOfRocknRolla posted 10-21-2011 02:41 AM 3152 views 3 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Years ago, my wife surprised me one morning and packed us up and took us to Sears to pick me out a contractor table saw on sale. After 10 years the flimsy steel legs were getting twisted and buckling, and I had an urgent need to put my table saw onto a mobile base. [As many will say, I am actually quite pleased with the quality of the table itself, but the legs and the fence are serious weak spots in the design. I hope to have the fence dealt with soon…] Anyway, this cart began as a simple way to make the saw mobile [on 3.5” double-locking casters], and then I decided I wanted to try to seal up the saw a bit to allow for dust collection [not very good with a shop vac attached, but works great with my DC!]. I ended up boxing in the back end of the saw, the fourth pic shows the easily removable lid which seals against this box. I found that adding the strip of plywood with a strip of plastic glued on provides a nicely smooth and slick support for the crosscut sleds. The sleds aren’t any pretty, but I am quite happy with their accuracy and functioning. The final picture shows the DC, which I have front-ended with a rigged up separator. The ~15 feet of 4” flexible ducting goes from the table saw to a plastic trash can lid, which holds the ducting so that it works in a cyclonic manner, slamming the stream of sawdust into a structure of a chicken wire cage, which causes the particles to slow and precipitate out of the air. Ducting takes air from the center of the lid over to the DC itself. Since adding this separator, I have barely collected an inch or so of dust in the DC bag, while having emptied enough material out of the trash can to have nearly filled it, if gathered all together.

Though not pretty, the cart, dust collection, and sleds are functioning very well. The wheels are each capable of ~200 lbs apiece, thus the cart can handle ~800 lbs. With the cart up and running, with a few support tools along for the ride, the total weight is a fraction of that, so it rolls around like a dream, and then locking 2-3 of the wheels sticks it nicely in place, locking all 4 is wonderful! I am fantasizing about rebuilding the cart again, this time adding accessory storage room for blades, wrenches, blade plates, etc. but since it is working so well, I haven’t been able to bring myself to get moving on this.

[OK, updated the pic of the motor. The original one was showing a very sawdusty motor. Come to find out, I had left part of the dust collection system open when I was cleaning the saw that morning, so it wasn’t working as it should. Thankfully, StumpyNubs noted that I had better clean out my motor often, or it would fail. This made me notice that the area was much dustier than I would expect, and had me start troubleshooting. After fixing my ‘leak” and sawing on projects throughout the day, I took the new pic showing the actual amount of sawdust that collects in the area when it is working as it should…]

-- Reach my personal page at, and The Sawdust Factory [my online "shop"] at!/pages/The-Sawdust-Factory/10871875

4 comments so far

View StumpyNubs's profile


6830 posts in 2222 days

#1 posted 10-21-2011 01:31 PM

Looks great except for one thing- all that dust will KILL your motor! Better blow it out OFTEN!

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications:

View AcetolaOfRocknRolla's profile


39 posts in 1842 days

#2 posted 10-21-2011 08:59 PM

Hi StumpyNubs, thanks for the feedback/wakeup call! Your note made me realize that, yeah, it’s WAY dustier than usual back there, even factoring in a long day of making sawdust…over the revisions of the cart, pre-dust collector, I had it configured for a 2.5” shop vac hose. Well, when the DC came along, I basically stuffed that hole with a rag [tightly, mind you! :) ] and opened up another hole to accommodate the 4” ducting. Early yesterday, I had popped out the plug for cleaning, and forgot to reseat it, so the DC system had a gaping hole in it and wasn’t working well at all. So, when I did my morning prep this morning, and noticed the open hole, I was able to solve my little mystery. Now, after fixing this and cleaning it all up again, I ran a few feet of hardwood, and checked again. This time, that area was almost as clean as it was pre-cutting, as I would expect. I plan on making a bunch more sawdust today, so I’ll replace that pic with what I find at the end of the day without any air compressor cleanups during the day. [I might peek now and then though… ;) ]

Seriously, thanks for saying something, I am happy that this is found and fixed.

I’d like to think I would have caught it during setup this morning, but if I hadn’t the motor would have been in for a dusty morning, and now, it’ll probably have it better than me! [Film, err, pictures at 11…pm….]

-- Reach my personal page at, and The Sawdust Factory [my online "shop"] at!/pages/The-Sawdust-Factory/10871875

View Knothead62's profile


2581 posts in 2383 days

#3 posted 10-23-2011 02:22 AM

Great idea and job. I’m thinking of using the stand for my contractor-type TS for something else and building a cabinet with extensions for the TS.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13347 posts in 3095 days

#4 posted 10-23-2011 02:27 AM

Nice table saw cart.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics