|Project by mailee||posted 10-19-2011 11:33 PM||1767 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
I was asked by a customer to make some corbels for two listed buildings he owns. He provided me with one of the originals as a pattern. It was a bit of a head scratcher but I worked out a plan of attack. I firstly cut three 1 1/2” thick pieces to shape on the bandsaw and finished them off with a template and a bearing guided router cutter. I then cut the flutes into the rounded upper section by cutting half a flute into each side. Then the three pieces were glued togther to make the main section. For the bottom moulding I cut two rounded sections using a panel raising cutter in the router table and joined them at right angles to each other to give the large sweeping curve. Next I cut some hockey stick sections using the router table and table saw and then glued this on top of the curved ‘L’ shaped piece. this was then cut into appropriate lengths and shaped on the band saw. A smaller bull nosed moulding was made on the router table and glued to the bottom of the small moulding. Then all of the pieces were screwed to the backplates which I had made out of 1×6” I was pleased with the outcome even after making six of the main sections, nine of the smaller mouldings, and twelve backplates!