|Project by PeteMoss||posted 10-11-2011 04:20 AM||1752 views||7 times favorited||12 comments|
Here are two nightstands that I just finished. I started these back in February 2010, so I have been at it for nearly two years now. I guess you could say that I don’t dedicate a whole lot of time to the shop.
These are made from 3 boards of ribbon striped African Mahogany (no idea what the actual species is) and poplar for the secondary drawer parts. I learned a lot doing this project, mostly from mistakes.
I actually did pretty well on laying out the parts and milling them. I spent a lot of time trying to make sure that the grain looked good and wrapped around the aprons and legs and making sure that the panels didn’t show glue lines. I was pretty happy with how that turned out.
The joinery turned out pretty good. I had the same issues with mortises that I had in some of my previous projects (my router stinks and cannot cut a straight mortise). The tops turned out pretty good, except that I totally destroyed one and had to make a new one.
I also learned not to leave a table standing on the side of your tablesaw while you are using it. The one table vibrated off the tablesaw and fell to the floor hitting every other item in the shop on the way down. This gave me lots of practice in steaming out dents.
I made a scratchstock and made the beads on the edges of the aprons. This didn’t turn out too great, but it definitely looks handmade I guess. I had planned to put cock-beading around the drawers, but I chickened out and just used the scratchstock on the top and bottom edges.
This gave me my first chance to try hand cutting dovetails (first dovetails of any kind actually). I was pretty happy with how they turned out. I also made solid drawer bottoms with handcut bevels around the edge of the panel. That was pretty cool. I am probably more proud of the drawers than anything.
I had my first experience with water based dyes. I used General Finishes dyestains. It was done with 3 parts medium brown to 1 part merlot. Then it was topped with three coats of Arm’r’seal semi-gloss. The drawer pulls are from Lee Valley made by Horton Brasses I believe. I really wasn’t happy about dying the wood but it turned out pretty well in the end.
Man am I glad these things are done.
-- "Never measure......cut as many times as necessary." - PeteMoss