|Project by billculpepper||posted 10-10-2011 03:20 PM||3178 views||0 times favorited||17 comments|
I have an explanation…after nearly 10 years of research and regulatory work my company has recently received registration for a prescription strength medication to treat head lice in children. One of the researchers we worked with has perfected a method of “breeding” head lice that are resistant to the most common over the counter medication. In appreciation for his wok (and because I wanted to see if it could be done) I asked him to send me some of his lice (yes…they were dead and floating in alcohol) and I cast them in resin. Result – a pen with lice in it…possibly gross to some but to a researcher a symbol of their work. I hope he likes it.
There is a photo of the casting included. I attempted to make 2 pens but my first one exploded on lathe (photo also included). For this casting I used “pre-painted” tubes from woodturningz (mesa pen kit). I painted my own tubes once and the paint sort of “curdled” when it came in contact with the resin. That pen looked really cool but I did not want this pen to have that same texture. Whatever color (or pattern or paper photo) surrounds the tube really “fills up” the pen once it is turned and polished, which is why this pen looks “solid white” when the resin is actually clear and only the brass tube is white.
I found the lice “really shifted around” when the mold was poured and many floated to the surface of the mold (and are now…well…in my DC….). I did not want to “superglue” the lice to the tube as I thought the glue may be visible, but if I do this again I will try that to get a better dispersion of the objects around the tube.
-- Bill Culpepper, Indiana