|Project by loupitou06||posted 10-10-2011 06:16 AM||1993 views||5 times favorited||12 comments|
I finally completed this project, a high chair for my new friend Celia. I must say I was greatly inspired by
but my design was simplified to have the legs extending only in one direction (side/side for the front and rear for the rear legs). The stability of the chair was not perfect so I drilled holes in the back legs and epoxied some lead shots to add stability.
This is my first attempt of sculpted piece and was quite a challenge at almost every step. I drew as usually some plans on sketchup but ended up adjusting to the project. Almost none of the joints ended up with a tight fit but epoxy and 3” screws came to the rescue.
I carefully selected the piece of wood for the headrest with a big knot in it to add a visual interest to the piece but it was quite a challenge to get the spindles to hold in such a tormented piece of wood.
The table is help in place with rare earth magnets, I’ve embedded 4 in the armrests (2 on each one) and the matching 4 on the table. This holds the table pretty well but I might have to come up with a form locking mechanism in the future.
The wood is walnut and the finish is :
3 coats of : 1/3 shellac, 1/3 DNA, 1/3 boiled linseed oil.
6 coats of varnish
1 coat of wax
The number one woodworking skill I learned from that project is patience ! And now I’m using it on every other ones !
Thanks for watching
-- 100 fois sur le metier remettez votre ouvrage