|Project by RONFINCH||posted 10-02-2011 02:20 AM||1554 views||2 times favorited||11 comments|
Well, I’ve been trying to step up my projects lately and decided to build an armoir for my son’s bathroom to hold all his towels and things.
My version of Sketchup….of course, the finished product looks a little bit different
Layout took a bit trying to figure out, as usual, with no plans. The actual construction went fairly easy for the shell (cypress ) and the back being birch 1/4” ply. I decided to make my very first raised panel doors and they came out ok, at least I think they did, well, with the exception of having to build another door because I set the top panel in one of the doors horizontally instead of vertically.
The part that just about KILLED me was applying the finish. Staining the project with a Cherry stain over such a large area took it out of me. I wasn’t quite fast enough to get it on without the appearance of the stain over lapping. So, I went to the local Dollar Store and bought a few $1.00 squirt bottles. Although coming out of the bottles fairly thick, I was able to pick up the staining stage and get it on and get it wiped off.
And yes, I did stain the bottom!
I finished the cabinet with Minwax Wipe on Poly…......sure was a lot of wiping. Once again, squirt bottle to the rescue, and it worked great for the poly as it’s a lot thinner than the stain. I figure it took about 7 coats to achieve the desired finish, with light sanding in between coats.
The build was a great learning experience for me, from making the joints in the cabinet, to routing the moulding for the trim.