|Project by ChuckV||posted 804 days ago||1405 views||8 times favorited||6 comments|
The shelves are adjustable using saw-tooth supports. You can see these in the photo with the doors open. The back pieces have grooves on the mating edges. Then a spline is glued into one side of each back board. So, it is really tongue and groove. Since these are not glued together, I found it a challenge to keep them spaced as I wanted while I secured them with screws through some cleats. My clamps came to the rescue.
In the third photo, you can see some of my cherry projects nearby. We have come to call the new cabinet the “breadbox stand”! So, be careful if someone asks you to build them a breadbox.
I finished this cabinet with three coats of shellac mixed three parts amber to two parts clear. Most of it also has several coats of paste wax. I wanted more protection on the top. There I did the same three coats of the amber/clear mixture. On top of that I applied two coats of dewaxed clear shellac (SealCoat). This prepared the surface for the addition of polyurethane. I used four coats of General Finishes water-based satin.
The hardware is from Horton Brasses.
-- "And up on the hill, there's an old sheep that's dying/But it had two new lambs born just a fortnight before." - I. Anderson