|Project by MarkR||posted 09-24-2011 10:42 PM||3174 views||21 times favorited||42 comments|
The title says it all! I’ve been working on this since May almost every weekend. Before that, I practiced dovetails until I could hardly stand it. The wood is walnut, with poplar as the secondary wood. The finish is Watco Danish oil, clear shellac, and wax. First time trying inlay and stringing, dovetails on a case piece, and a mortised lock.
First time working with crotch wood too, and what a bear it was. First I tried to plane it and I just tore it up. Then I tried to use a card scraper. That worked fine until I needed to sharpen it (just couldn’t get the hang of that burr). Finally, I just sanded it to 320 or so and let it be. Great, ready for the finish. I brushed on the shellac, and got streaks on the crotch. I removed it, sanded some more, and tried again – same thing. Out came the denatured alcohol and I tried again. This time I thinned the shellac to 1/3 strength and tried again – same thing. I removed it again, and finally sprayed on shellac from a can. The crotch turned out beautifully at last.
The third pic shows the interior tray, which has that air cushion ride down. The fifth pic captures how striking that crotch is. The last pic is the crotch before cutting to size.
All in all, the box was quite a challenge to me; nothing about it is perfect, but I do feel proud of it. Comments or suggestions welcome.
-- Mark in Va