|Project by dbray45||posted 09-19-2011 03:42 PM||1310 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
For a number of years I have been wanting to make a chair and never got time to do it. I had this cedar sitting out there and figured it was time. I made this from cedar fencing that was left over from a nieghbor’s fence. In the pictures it looks more like a deacon bench and uncomfortable. Shortly after the pictures were taken, my wife sat in it and asked if it could sit a little further back. Taking 3” off the back legs changed the dynamics and made this comfortable.
The legs are 3 boards glued together – Titebond folks recommended Titebond II because the hot sun will weaken Titebond III, they also told me to wipe down the glued surfaces with acetone so the oils in the cedar would not be an issue. If it looks like the seat is a little oversized, it is. I measured a number of chairs and made the seat, when my wife sat in it, she was uncomfortable (she has short legs) so the back was moved forward to fit her.
Originally, I just screwed the front and back supports and the legs in place (all stainless steel screws) and when I sat in it, thought it needed a liitle more structure – so – I took out some of the screws and replaced them with 3/4” dowel that was notched and a wedge put in to hold. The legs each have two srews and one dowel (underneath) to handle the stresses of two people.
The back top and bottom rails are doubled up for strength. I thought about the slats in the back for some time before settling on using a tongue and groove. The top and bottom rails have the tongue and the slats have the groove to allow for water to run off freely.
Hope you enjoy – it was fun to make.
-- David in Damascus, MD