|Project by CodyM||posted 09-17-2011 03:46 AM||3279 views||11 times favorited||15 comments|
Tool tote made similar to Roy Underhill’s infamous tote. Since I don’t have Roy’s book “The Woodwrights Apprentice” this tote is a bit different than the original. The main difference is the size. I made mine 20” long x 10” wide x 5” tall as a smaller size to carry around misc. tools while doing home improvement projects. Another difference is the angle of the sides. In “The Woodwrights Workbook” there is a page that just touches on the general info about the tote, and in it Roy writes that the splay of the sides is 5:3. After laying out the angle and stepping back to look at it, it looked a but to steep so I decreased the angle to 5:2. And since I have been wanting to try my hand at a distressed finish with milk paints I decided to try it on this project. So the entire tote is made of alder, 1/2” on the sides, ends, and bottom, and 7/8” for the center partition. Corners are joined with a rabbeted butt joint reinforced with 1 1/2” 15ga. finish nails. The bottom is also set into rabbets in the sides. The center partition is set into dadoes in the ends and bottom and once again finish nails are added. This little project turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be. The compound angles combined with the rabbets made for some choice words being used in frustration. Once it was all glued up it was time to add the “distressing.” This included hammer blows, screwdriver thrusts, cut nails thrown, bolts and nuts gouged all around, and a few slides down the driveway to give it the illusion of age. I also sanded all the corners and the edges in certain spots very aggressively to give them a nice rounded over look. Then onto the milk paint. I used barn red and soldier blue, both of the Old Fashioned brand. First a coat of the barn red, and once dry I added more distressing and sanded a bit. Then a coat of soldier blue with more sanding and distressing to let some of the red show through in certain spots. Once that was done I wiped on some oil based stain to give it a grimy and dirty look. Then in order to protect all the abuse I just inflicted on the tote I applied two coats of gel polyurethane. I think the antiqued finish turned out so well that I am now looking for another project that would look good finished that way. Thanks for looking!
-- Cody - Salt Lake City, UT