|Project by Mike||posted 09-14-2011 09:09 PM||1249 views||1 time favorited||10 comments|
Well, I finally screwed up the courage to post my first LJ project. This my interpretation of a classic pie safe. The style I would say is Mission…..ish?. The carcass, shelves, back are oak ply. The face frame, drawer guide, arched shelf support and doors are solid oak. The inside of the door was a tough place to make decisions for me. I went with what you see here, an oak cap frame to hold the tins in place and while the I didnt want the black frame outside the door, I feel it pulls nicely on the black inside. The copper tins were punched by hand and the patina turned out awesome(IMO). I was shooting for very old, found in a old home/reclaimed look. Just what I wanted but it took some trail and error to figure out how to get it just so. A very simple process all in all. Sprayed the tins with clear matte acrylic, and for the record when the say do not apply in high humidity they are not joking. The first coat turned milky white, an immediate recoat in the house fixed it. Whew.
My goal when this project started was to get a better grip on various techniques, I have never stained, used urethane, made a precision dado, a shelf mounted with pocket holes, or made doors. A lot of firsts on this baby. I learned so much I had to make a note book so I wouldn’t forget all the little things I learned. Not proud of that but…....
Of course now that its done I feel it turned out ok, although I made too many mistakes, none were complete ruination. As they say the journey was great and the destination ended up being a place I’m happy with. Thanks for taking a look,
-- Why measure twice when you can cut twice.