|Project by Kenshu||posted 09-12-2011 12:53 AM||1948 views||9 times favorited||4 comments|
I built this chest for a friend of mine who is very into pirates. It is made from pine stained with general finishes walnut gel stain and a wipe on satin polyeurethane. The slat clamps were originally stainless steel but were painted with a hammered black spray paint to match the rest of the hardware. Overall measurements are 24” x 17” x 19”.
I did a lot of new things for me including coopering a top, bent laminations, and staining pine. Coopering the top didnt pose any real difficulties but figuring out how to make the two slats that bend along the edges of it proved a real challenge. First I tried steam bending but the type of wood I chose to use was not good for bending and had too much spring back. I tried kerf cutting but that looked terrible. I eventually settled on usng veneer and laminating it up to the right thickness using the top as the form. That worked out quite well but next time I will choose a better wood for bending and give steam bending with a hot pipe a try.
I also learned that I really need to use a conditioner before staining pine. I hate the blotchiness that occured but when my friend and his wife saw it they loved the look. They thought it made it look weathered and worn which is just what they wanted. I didnt argue since that meant I didnt have to sand it back it down!
All things considered I am happy it turned out as well as it did. I know I learned from the mistakes I made and can do better on the next one.
-- The second mouse gets the cheese.