|Project by mustang958||posted 09-09-2011 01:48 PM||4070 views||2 times favorited||1 comment|
It’s been quite awhile since I’ve posted anything but this is the first time posting a project. Something I made which was necessitated by some vintage stereo equipment I recently acquired. The items it was built to house were too wide to fit in an existing rack I have so I knew I had to come up with something to get them up off the floor. It’s definitely wide enough, maybe too wide. But if necessary I can always build another and sell this one.
It’s not a very complicated piece, basically two sides, top and bottom and some shelves. It’s pretty much just 3/4” birch ply and pine. My son had made a bookshelf awhile back and left me what I thought was a full sheet of plywood. However when I was cutting it into the pieces I realized it was a bit short and had to purchase a 2’ x 4’ piece of ply from Lowes. The top and bottom is made from 1”x4” select pine boards glued up and cut to size. The side molding is 1”x2” pine and the shelf fronts 3/4” poplar. I was going to use poplar in place of the pine but the select pine looked really nice so I decided to try go with the pine.
The only problem I ran into was with attaching the shelves to the side pieces. I’ve been using the Grizzly plywood router bit set to cut the dadoes and rabbets which work perfectly. However the extra piece that was purchased from Lowes was a true 3/4” and was too wide so I had to enlarge the dado for two of the shelves. Other than that assembly was straightforward. Finish is two coats of clear varnish on all surfaces and some paste wax on the top. There’s also casters on the bottom to make it easy to move.
That’s it. Again not too complicated but it serves its purpose and allowed me to practice some new skills.
Thanks for looking,