|Project by kansas||posted 09-08-2011 02:28 AM||1630 views||5 times favorited||4 comments|
I was given a mulberry log last winter and had it sawn this spring. I stickered it in the loft of my barn which gets pretty hot in summer. I used a box fan to circulate the air. It seems fairly dry now. The bark edges seemed interesting so I wanted to try to use some of the pieces with the bark on. The pieces I choose would be considered firewood by many, as the twisting and warping was terrible for the boards closest to the outside of the the tree. I had to flatten the top with a hand plane because it would not quite fit through my planer. I’m not very skilled with a hand plane but after quite a bit of sweat I had it flat enough to use for this project. The legs were straight but I cut a few “details” to make them more interesting. It’s approximate dimensions are 17.5” high, 38” long and 13” wide. The mulberry is yellow now but should darken with sunlight exposure to a warm brown. I think the sapwood will make for a nice contrast. I brushed on a couple coats of sanding sealer. Then I tried my Earlex 5500 for the first time and sprayed on some laquer. The Earlex will take some practice but I think I’m going to like it.