|Project by SPHinTampa||posted 09-07-2011 04:49 PM||1711 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
I am not sure about the rest of you, but I get very caught up in trying to be perfect on some fairly ambitious projects (for me). However, sometimes it is the easy little projects that seem to mean more to others.
My wife has a number of Buddhist brass casting she wanted to display in a yoga studio, however, they came mounted on uneven, ugly stands.
I used chisels and elbow grease to free the castings from the old stands and then rebuilt new ones using Padauk.
Cut to size on the RAS and the profiled on the router table. Largest challenge is the fact that Padauk seems to split on the end grain, no matter how small of a cut I took, even with backer block. Next time I will cut an oversized blank, rout the end grain, rip to final size and route the long grain.
Light sanding using the Lee Valley sanding profile blocks and then finished with MinWax Spray Poly.
90 mins of shop work and a happy wife …
-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn