LumberJocks

Arts 'n Crafts(ish) Sideboard

  • Advertise with us
Project by HaxNaybr posted 1062 days ago 1342 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This was built primarily as a changing table for my brother-in-law and his wife. It’s mostly black walnut with some tinted sweetgum (I ran out of walnut). The corner pieces are rhododendron and the pulls are Lilac. The rhododendron has almost the same qualities and color as holly except not quite as dense. The lilac is very dense and has some really nice purple streaks running through it. So far it seems to be pretty stable. Thanks for looking.





3 comments so far

View amagineer's profile

amagineer

1383 posts in 1203 days


#1 posted 1061 days ago

Very nicely done. The walnut grain stands out beautifully. Where did you get the rhododendron and the Lilac wood? I have 50 year old bushes in the yard, but I never imagined using the wood

-- Flaws are only in the eye of the artisan!

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

15672 posts in 2824 days


#2 posted 1061 days ago

Very nice work!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View HaxNaybr's profile

HaxNaybr

14 posts in 1258 days


#3 posted 1061 days ago

Thank you :) Yeah, I went through almost the entire stack of walnut looking for just the right pieces. The Rhody and Lilac came from a couple of old bushes I pruned last year in my front yard. As I was hacking away at the lilac I noticed the heartwood was purple. So I shaved about a half inch (deep) along the length of the stalk and, lo ‘n behold, there it was. This gorgeous purple streak that went from one end to the other. So I let a couple of big pieces (about 2.5” dia) cure blonde for about a year to get most of the moisture out of it then, just before I started working with it, I cut it into “ingots” with an old bow saw (I don’t have a bandsaw…yet). Then I used my table saw to cut small, square planks from which I cut the pulls. All in all, I’m pretty happy with the way it came out. The Rhododendron did split a little bit, but I filled it with a sliver of lilac and glued it in with some cyanoacrylate glue (krazy glue). I’m thinking I might let the lilac grow out a little to see if I can get some more wood out of it…lol. Thanks for looking, guys.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase