|Project by KnickKnack||posted 09-03-2011 05:48 PM||1665 views||8 times favorited||10 comments|
My last two projects have been complete failures – they’re sitting in the “sin” corner of the room waiting for some inspiration as to how to recover them. I knew when I started that they were probably beyond me, but, as my father used to say, “the impossible takes a little longer”.
So I thought I would revisit an earlier design (one that I screwed up so it never got posted), and try something more simple, in an effort to see if the “easier” things were now easier, and if I really had been learning from my previous mistakes.
Broadly speaking this went pretty well. The rotating hinge thing is still a challenge – I’m starting to understand why people have drill presses – but this one works – it’s a little wobbly since I was off by a mill on one of the holes and I had to grow it, but it will be acceptable (to the recipient, it’s not acceptable to me!)
The red inset bit is a disappointment – it doesn’t stand out enough from the fumed oak. I found the piece I used by the local bins – someone had obviously been redoing their parquet floor…
I used the piece one in from the left. Since I had only one piece I couldn’t test how the ammonia would affect it – it darkened ever so slightly. That said, it looks a little better in real life than in the pictures. Speaking of which, the first is in natural light – those colours are fairly accurate. The others are with flash – more detail, but more “yellow” too.
It’s 14cmx11cmx8cm – my wife says that’s too small to be useful. I say it’s a box for a present – it’s not supposed to be useful, just pretty and anything else is a bonus – besides, you could probably fit many thousands worth of banknotes in it!
Ash and fumed oak. Tung oil finish.
As always – please feel free to hurt my feelings :-)
-- "Do not speak – unless it improves on silence." --- "Following the rules and protecting the regulations is binding oneself without rope."