|Project by David Drummond||posted 09-03-2011 07:55 AM||5380 views||8 times favorited||2 comments|
I ended up needing a place to hang the matching quilt from our bedding in the nursery and realized that I needed a place to store teddy bears and books so I decided to build a matching quilt hanger/ bookshelf to match the other furniture I built. I looked online for inspiration and couldn’t find anything I really liked so I modified a drop front storage center design from a Weekend Woodworking magazine I had. I still have to buy or build some bookends but the room is Winnie the Pooh themed so I may end up buying themed ones but we’ll see.
The internal shelf is attached to the side with a stop dado, Titebond II and two screws that are hidden behind the shaker style sides that make the side panel. I made a template for the side out of some 1/8” masonite I had lying around to layout my angles needed to construct the side with no visible end grain. The hinges are Blum 170 degree concealed hinges and were an afterthought that almost got me in trouble. I had barely enough room to drill the cup and not have it come through the center panel. The plywood was trimmed with matching hardwood to cover the plys and the top was attached using table tabs from Rockler. This was a fun project to build since it was so quick (8 hours).
The finish used was General Finishes “Light Brown” water based dye (I know… not exactly light brown but it was layered to achieve the darker color which wasnt really intended but I had to match the other stuff in the room). The protective finish is a laquer sanding sealer and a moisture resistant oil rubbed finish laquer topcoat which turned out pretty dang good. It is 40” wide, 13.5” tall and 11” deep. Total cost for this project was roughly $50.
All comments are welcome and thanks for looking! DD
-- "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Explore, Dream, Discover” Mark Twain