|Project by MrDan||posted 08-30-2011 08:54 AM||2448 views||3 times favorited||15 comments|
I’ve been needing some chisels for awhile and I had a bunch of really old crappy ones that needed a lot of work, so I finally got around to flattening, sharpening and making new handles for them. I just found some ipe that a guy was practically giving away and I figured I’d try that out for the handles. It’s supposed to be tough as nails so I though it was worth a shot. I turned ‘em on the lathe and then used copper pipe for the ferrules. I do like the way they turned out. I actually prefer the look of copper over the usual brass ferrule, and I think it accents the ipe quite nicely.
The only down side is that the steel in these chisels is junk, so in a way it was an exercise in futility, but it was fun and I got some more lathe time in which is always fun.