|Project by Mike||posted 08-25-2011 03:04 AM||3569 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
So about two years ago I decided that I wanted to change my office desk from a stock MDF buy off the shelf because it is cheap type of desk to something that was hand built and was a reflection of me. Well for those two years I played with tons of different design that I tossed aside because of several different reasons. I took allot at bamboo boards and I like the look but the price was way to high. For some time I was wondering how I could get the look without spending an arm and a leg. I finally came up with the idea that if you cut strips of plywood and glue it face to face, the edge really resembles the bamboo style look. I also then looked at the Asian style of woodworking and concluded that a black boarder and legs would also look good. I took some photos as I went along to show the different steps that I took.
Here is the hard board plywood cut down into a 2’ x 4’ section. There were 4 from 1 sheet. I ended up only needing 3 total.
Here is a photo of the plywood being ripped into 2” x 4’ sections.
Photos of the cut 2” x 4’ boards. Each board had one edge jointed so when the boards are glued together the top would be leveled. After the glue up, jointing the other side would have helped, but it really wasn’t something that was a game ender.
A test clamp up before glue is applied to check of any problems
The boards glued together with the jointed edge face down. The clamps removed any natural bow in the 2” x 4’ boards.
A small amount of glue dripped out, but a chisel took care of that.
Time to fill the gaps.
The edges of the table top are squared up. I also did a quick wipe down with mineral spirits to see the finished look of the top.
The layout of the legs. This is the first time that I was making tapered legs.
After cutting one side of the leg, I taped the sections back on to keep a flat surface faced down. This also allows for you to see the layouts on the sides which were cut off.
A cut table leg.
The table legs after being routed with a round over bit.
A dry run and layout of the table legs.
The table mounts attached.
The table top finished and the trim attached and glued up.
The final table assembled!
-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw