|Project by Bearpie||posted 08-24-2011 11:22 PM||1800 views||0 times favorited||21 comments|
My first segmented bowl 6” H x 10 1/4” D Pine and Walnut Wipe on Poly finish
I thought it was time for me to try something I have not done thus far, make a segmented bowl. I have seen others post here and my favorite among them is Sam Shakouri of Australia. He does incredible work! I decided to use pine cause I had plenty of cutoffs left from the expansion of my workshop and in case of a major screw up, no big loss! Mistake #1. I had to cut by trial and error and used big rubber bands for holding the glue-ups. Mistake #2. The rubber bands made it too difficult to put on unless you have 4 hands! I then bought the strap clamp for odd shaped projects and this worked like a charm. Wished They had 2 more sets so I did not have to wait till the glue dried before starting the next ring. Eventually the glue job was done and I stacked the rings up and marked where I wanted the walnut lines to match up, applied glue and clamped the bowl and had to carefully adjust the bowl for slippage when applying pressure. There was a narrow glue area between the 2nd and 3rd ring and the 3rd and 4th ring. Mistake #3. I should have made another ring and replaced the 3rd ring with a wider piece. I bandsawed each ring to make it easier to turn on the lathe without so much chunking! Carefully, I turned the piece and when I got to the 3rd disc I was not able to make the smooth transition and there is a slight “dogleg” between the rings due to mistake #3. I did the best I could and that area is just over an 1/8” thick and you can see the light glowing through it. I sanded it smooth and noticed that there was dips in the wood between the walnut and pine. Mistake #4. I used pine, a soft wood, and walnut, a harder wood, and pine will sand away quicker than walnut leaving a dip. (Note to self: match wood hardness more closely to each other!) Gotta live with it or it goes on the burn pile and it still looked too good for that so I applied a wood sealer to fill in the pores in the pine, re-sanded lightly with 600 grit and applied Wipe on Poly. Mistake #5 was not gluing a thick enough piece for the glue block for the chuck and I didn’t have room to use the thin kerf cut off blade so had to saw it off by hand.
I did not give myself an”A” on this piece but rather a “B-” because of the above mistakes. I gave a fairly high grade also because this is my first segmented bowl and I have to say it was a success, barely!
My wife posted this on Facebook and we already have a buyer interested!
Enjoy looking and comments and critiques welcomed.
-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL