|Project by Ben Miller||posted 08-22-2011 at 06:56 PM||2762 views||13 times favorited||17 comments|
This is my first shot at a smoking pipe and it was not nearly as difficult as I had imagined. Although this is a pretty low brow pipe, I did have a really good time making this. It started out as a block of briar that I ordered from PIMO and I whittled it down to rough shape with a knife and rasp, then final shape with quite a bit of sanding. Once all of that was done, I used alcohol based stain (medium walnut) applied with a pipe cleaner. The final step is buffing it with a flannel buffing disk attached to my drill press. Buffed with carnauba wax and Tripoli buffing compound.
Pretty happy with the results and am ready to take this thing on it’s maiden voyage.