|Project by Gerry||posted 08-22-2011 09:31 PM||2603 views||6 times favorited||6 comments|
This project began as a relatively simple exercise in choosing the wood, cutting precise miters, finding a way to do the joinery, finishing the project, and finally installing (hanging) the finished result.
I wanted to have the same color, grain, and character of wood for the project. The cabinets in the master bath are cherry stained alder, so I chose a single, relatively straight 4/4 piece of Alder, from which I would cut all the parts. Since the final thickness of the frame was to be ½”, I figured I could keep the grain and color consistent by cutting all the parts from the same board. I brought it to the shop, let the wood acclimate for WAY longer than I had planned (1 month), and determined my plan of work.
The first step was to rough out the parts, make them square and true, and proceeded to form them to the plan. (first one of my own). Oddly enough, the top piece of the frame was true and straight, while the piece designated to be the frame bottom bowed as soon as it was cut from the board……..Oh well……
After measuring several times to be sure I was not cutting the parts too short, I began the fitting process. Good thing I’ve listened to Charles Neal, and “snuck up” on the right fit. The top and bottom parts were the right length, but the side pieces were a bit longer than I had planned. Happily, wood can be made shorter…….
As I began to plan the miter cuts, I realized the end grain to end grain joint strength would be weak. Looking in the MCLS catalog, I found their round biscuit / slot cutter solution for miter joints. Ordered it, got it in the shop, and once I made some test joints and test glue-ups, found the solution to work quite well. (See photos)
All this got me to the point of attaching the frame to the mirror. NOT an easy thing to do. Off to the hardware store for a solution. Searched for a while, and then realized the ¼” rabbet I cut into the back of the top piece of the frame gave me a ¼” lip to hold the frame in place for its entire length.
Just hanging there would not be secure, but the rabbet would support a screwed-on bracket of sorts. I found some thin metal rectangles, fashioned the brackets I needed, and screwed them to the frame. I did have to bend the bracket out slightly to fit behind the mirror. Once it was in place, it looked like it would work out.
So, then to finishing. I used the same cherry stain as was used on the cabinets, and finished the surface with an initial seal of spray shellac, followed by several coats of Poly Urethane. After the initial coats and fine sanding, the last coat went on smoothly, and looked good. Anyway, the photos tell the whole story. And, my honey is happy! Could have been a lot worse……….
-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”