|Project by Vrtigo1||posted 08-22-2011 07:34 PM||5242 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
This was my first commissioned project. My parents had an empty space above their refrigerator that was originally supposed to have a cabinet. Their house was built 10 years ago and that cabinet never materialized so they asked me if I could build something for them.
I had them look at design magazines and show me some pictures of stuff they liked.
The case and dividers are constructed from 3/4 birch ply. The face frame is cherry to match the rest of their kitchen. The edges of the dividers are also covered with 1/4 cherry strips which were flush trimmed with a router and then finished up with a chisel in the corners where there wasn’t sufficient clearance to get the router in.
Finish is General Finishes warm cherry stain covered with approx 6 coats of high performance water based poly. First time using both and I am really happy with the way it came out. I did the plywood in two sets, the first set I stained with a rag and the second I used a foam brush. The foam brush worked much better and resulted in a more even coat. The pieces finished with the foam brush are hard to tell that they’re not solid wood!
I measured everything and then build the piece at my house. I was really hoping my measurements were good and I wouldn’t end up spending a few months of saturdays to build something that wouldn’t fit. We installed it yesterday and it fit like a glove. Parents were very happy with it, and I am as well. The finish doesn’t match the existing cabinetry exactly, but as I said the kitchen is 10 years old, so the rest of the cabinets have darkened. The match is close enough that you’d have to know that you’re looking for a mismatch in order to see it, which is all I could have asked for.