|Project by USCJeff||posted 08-18-2011 08:19 AM||1834 views||9 times favorited||13 comments|
This was a tedious one, but it was gratifying when it came together. I posted the board itself as a prior project. In short, the board is Walnut/Maple Veneer with MDF as the substrate, had a solid wood walnut frame with a thin maple inlay on the boarder as well.
I did the Walnut pieces and Maple pieces similar, but added differences to have the feel of two sides fighting. Each King and Queen are unique. I went ahead and cut the traditional slot in the maple Bishops, but left the Walnut ones as is. I added some detail to the Maple Rooks as well and left the Walnut unaltered. The Knight was a challenge aas it can’t be completed on the the lathe. I’m happy with the way it turned out. I don’t carve, so I didn’t attempt to add detail to the Knight’s “face”. The pawns were surprisingly tricky. Free-handing 8 identical ones on each side wasn’t a picnic. I had 4 extra Maple pawns and 3 Walnut ones in the end that didn’t make the cut.
My young kids like checkers, so I made some as well. One set of checkers was made using Mahogany. The other. . . , uh, I cannot remember if it was East Indian Rosewood or Cocobolo. They scraps I had of each are very similar. I believe this was the Rosewood since it has a slightly more purple hue and duller orange to it. I used a circle cutter on the drill press for 1.75” checkers. and cut them free on the band saw in .25” thicknesses. Both sides of the checkers are the same. We’ll have to stack a checker to “King” a piece.
Finish was a friction polish on all the turned surfaces. I used poly on what couldn’t be finished on the lathe. All have a wax coat.
-- Jeff, South Carolina