|Project by jack1||posted 08-16-2011 05:56 AM||1832 views||2 times favorited||13 comments|
We were down to 4 Rhode Island Reds and so decided to get 8 more girls this spring (6 Barred Rocks and a couple more Rhodes). They are beginning to lay eggs. It was turning into a feathered traffic jam with only the original 3 boxes and 12 birds. I saw a need for a second story.
I put a steep (9:12) pitch on the top this time to discourage them from sitting on top and making a mess. Each box has a 14”x15” floor area with ample head room on both levels. The addition is made of left over maple plywood for the roof and sides, 1/4” luan plywood for the dividers and poplar strips to cover the plywood edges. I used pocket screws, glue and brads to assemble the unit.
Hope they use it as much as the old one was used!
Thanks for looking.
-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!