|Project by TheDane||posted 08-13-2011 07:31 PM||4964 views||8 times favorited||8 comments|
I scored a great deal on a Delta 46-460 Midi Lathe a few weeks ago, and needed a stand for it. I decided to build a lathe/sanding station. Space considerations in my garage/shop dictate that everything must be on wheels, and where possible, I combine tools on a workstation (e.g. drill press and router table are mounted on a shop-built cart that has a ‘garage’ for tool cases and storage drawers).
What I came up with is 68” long cart that is 68” long, 31” high, and 17” deep. The lathe is bolted on one end, my V-Drum sander sits on the other end, and there is room below to store my belt/disk sander, oscillating spindle sander, a toolbox for lathe accessories, etc. It also has a drawer that is large enough to store chisels, gouges, scrapers, etc.
The cart is actually made of construction-grade lumber, milled to 1 1/4” thick by 3” wide. There are no butt joints … everything was done with rebates, bridle, and half-lap joints, all glued and screwed. The top and shelf are 3/4” plywood glued and screwed to a 1 1/4” x 3” sub-frame and covered with 1/4” tempered hardboard. Most of the materials was scrap from the shed … the most expensive parts were the 5” poly wheels from Grizzly (about $60).
I attached a floor sweep to the top right behind the lathe to keep the work surface clear. I’m considering a dust hood … the floor sweep gets a lot of the big stuff, but a dust hood would help with the fine stuff while scraping and sanding,
The light on top of the lathe is a low-voltage, LED light that one of the guys in my turning club got a deal on … $10 apiece for club members. I made a base with a 1” rare earth magnet in it, then added a ‘trigger’ on the front to help pry it loose from the lathe.
I had some concerns about using six wheels (the two on the right are fixed, the center pair swivel, and the left pair are swivel locks … it is harder to get six points to hit the floor at the same time than four. The frame turned out surprisingly flat, and I gave myself some wiggle room by mounting the wheels on 2×6 ‘trucks’ that screw to the underside of the frame. That way, if need be, I would be able to loosen a couple of screws and drive in some shims. None were required, however.
I have turned a couple of bowls since finishing the cart, and there was no vibration or movement. A lot of that is the 46-460 lathe (Good Job, Delta!), but the stand itself is very rigid and stable. We’ll see how it holds up!
-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"