|Project by 58j35bonanza||posted 08-08-2011 07:11 PM||1625 views||3 times favorited||12 comments|
My wife (Sue) is always looking to find me wood on Craigslist, and she found this piece of walnut.
The ad read something like this. Walnut lumber, 40” x 10” x 3” drying for over 15 years. First $50.00 gets it.
Well, off we went to look at it. We found the place and the guy said, now the measurement doesn’t include the end that is messed up, just the good wood.
Well, let me tell you, the first thing that caught my eye was the messed up end, and if I could stabilize the bark from falling off, it would make a real nice clock and dustable for our mantle.
I offered the guy $40.00 and we went home with it. Now don’t get me wrong, I would have given him $50.00 for it, but ya always gotta ask that question.
Well, I cut the end off and Sue used a wood stabilizer that she brushed on. After a few days I went after it with my grinder. Then sanded thru the grits down to 400 and finished it with 5 coats of lacquer, and 3 coats of Johnson’s paste wax.
Sue said I should have taken a picture of it before I started working on it. I wish I would have. I’m also glad it didn’t end up in a fire pit.