LumberJocks

Stuff for the router table

  • Advertise with us
Project by ic3ss posted 08-08-2011 03:28 AM 1883 views 2 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Having recently completed my router table extension on my Unisaw, I now needed to work on a few jigs to make it more useful. First up was the fence. I was able to just use some 3/4” MDF that I had left over. It was easy to build and works great. I’ve got a couple of slots cut to allow two T-bolt hold downs to go into the two T-tracks.

I’m building a tool cabinet for the wall, and it needs some drawers. This is the first time I’ve built a drawer, so I decided to use box joints, I only needed a box joint jig. This jig took some time and effort. I first looked at many designs on the web and came up with this. It has a 3/4” block under the base to go into the miter track. It slides sideways, so there are two holes for T-bolts to hold it down. I found with the T-bolts in, the slider actually hits one of them, so I need to trim the slider base down a bit. Today, I used my Rockler hold downs so that way I could move the contact point further out to allow the slider base to move all the way.

The thing that took the most time was the block-guide thingy. I thought I wanted the same thing I saw in this video. It has two metal tabs with two fingers that come out from the fence. You slide them apart to the width you want the kerf to be and that’s your guide block. After I made five different versions of these tabs, I realized there was no easy way to adjust the width. No matter what, it was going to be hard to adjust. I decided to get some key stock, I end drilled and tapped it and ran a 10-32 screw through the fence and that’s it. I’ve got several sizes of key stock and I’ll just drill and tap them the same. To adjust the kerf spacing, I put a setup bar next to the guide block then slide the base sideways so the bit touches the setup bar, then lock down the base.

I ran a couple of test pices of 1/4” plywood through it and it worked almost perfect. The one snag is that being plywood, it blew out several parts of the face ply. Other than that, it works perfectly, and I saved myself maybe as much as $300.

Thanks for reading.

- Wayne

-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."





1 comment so far

View sras's profile (online now)

sras

3873 posts in 1817 days


#1 posted 08-13-2011 03:47 PM

Nice add ons! You could try some masking tape to help out with the veneer lifiting off.

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase