|Project by nurvreck||posted 08-05-2011 04:32 AM||1824 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
Around the middle of July, the wife came to me and said she wanted to get some new beds for the boys. After looking for a while, she found a set that she liked. Then deciding she didn’t feel like spending the money on something I could build for less, she asked if I could make them. The only issue for me is that she wanted them by the end of the month.
At that time, I had 12 days to build 3 beds. To save time, I decided to buy some 1 by pine and 2×4’s at a big box store. After cutting all the boards to length and laminating the legs, I sanded them and conditioned and pre-stained all the boards with minwax red mahogany stain. This project gave me the perfect excuse to buy a new tool, the dowelmax.
I definitely would not have made my deadline if it weren’t for that bad boy. Yes, it was pricy, but WELL worth it! Attaching the laminated legs to the head and footboards was done in about 15 min each (not including glue time). Every time I used it, the one thing that would always go through my head was that one infomercial, “set it and forget it”, I mean that’s how easy it was.
Once everything had a day or two to set, I put the bed hardware (from woodcraft) on, set them up and sprayed a coat of sealer and a couple coats of lacquer. What you see here are the end results of lots of long hours in the nasty FL humidity, but well worth it. I even made my deadline by having them complete on July 31st and as you can tell, the boys (and wife) love them. Thanks for looking.
-- Dan, SSgt/USMC, Jacksonville, NC, http://thefamelesswoodworker.com