|Project by Mcnervy||posted 08-02-2011 01:41 PM||2879 views||4 times favorited||10 comments|
This is my first serious workbench
The top is laminated ash 2” thick
The legs and strechers are 4” laminated douglass fir
I hope to add a wagon vise
I like the current vise arangement and the way i have the leg as part of the back of the vice
I went with three rows of dog holes so that I could tripod clamping inboth directions
Bottom shelf is temp1/2 mdf tack nailed in
Construction took 3 months from first leg glue up to finish. I have 3 kids so there is not much time for my hobby.
I used chris swarcz book as the inspiration. I did feel the need for a hardwood top. I also felt that 4” thick was just too expensive.
I had a huge F$*% up during top glue up. I set up the boards on my waxed caul they all looked great, joint lines were nice and tight I was glueing 4 assemblys of 3 boards each, at one time. I added the glue and started tighting the clamps. EVERY PIECE shifted up on angle.
It turns out My jointer fence was slightly off angle and all my pieces were parallelegrams not squares. luckily after glue up I could joint the pieces and plane them before final glue up. I lost 3/8” thickness on the top, I had planned for 2-3/8 thick.
From now on I will tighten the clamps in my trial fit before I put on the glue.
-- Bennett; If it can't be fixed with a hammer its an electical problem