|Project by newTim||posted 07-31-2011 06:17 AM||4042 views||22 times favorited||14 comments|
This is the second sled I’ve built. The first sled, built for a unisaw, was very accurate, but also very heavy. It had a 3/4” plywood bottom and solid maple fences. It also had maple runners which seemed to expand and contract with the weather.
To make this sled a little lighter I used 1/2” carboard as a filler between two 1/8” panels. The frame is just 1/2” plywood and the fences are two pieces of 1/2” plywood. They are attached with 2” pocket hole screws from the bottom. The front sled was attached with one screw and then squared to the sawblade before securing it with the remaining screws. It is lightweight, but sturdy, and seems to be accurate. I was also able to figure out how to attach the metal Incra Miter Sliders.
The last picture shows my laminate/veneer press made out of pipe clamps.
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com