|Project by Tim Kindrick||posted 1094 days ago||1234 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
I few years ago my mom’s house was robbed while she was out of town. The burglar used the top center drawer of her dresser to carry off all of her jewelry so I told her I would make her a replacement.
This project seems pretty simple and srtaight forward but ended up being quite a challenge. The dresser was made of poplar with a faux oak finish that I couldn’t replicate. I made the drawer base from Baltic Birch and it was easy enough but the front was 8 separate pieces. First, I glued up three pieces of scrap poplar. Then I used a scrap piece of 1/8” oak ply glued to the front and routed 2 v-grooves to match the others. I then used 4 pieces of oak to trim around the edges.
Now the finish: Because I’m color-blind, I don’t see shades of red very well. I had to stain this 5 times before I got the color to match. I then brushed on some high gloss lacquer without checking to see if it matched. It didn’t. That’s why it doesn’t match exactly in these photos. I later took a 00 pad and dulled the finish before adding the drawer pull that had to be special ordered. Sorry I couldn’t find the final pics but everything ended up matching perfectly.
I also had to replace the runner underneath because it was damaged. I made a long sliding dovetail for the runner and it worked great. It was the first time making a sliding dovetail but it was actually very easy!
-- I have metal in my neck but wood in my blood!!