|Project by KoryK||posted 878 days ago||2389 views||9 times favorited||28 comments|
This piece will be taken back to Ft. Riley Kansas with my Son in Law for his Brigade HQ. Hopefully they will hang it with same pride I took in making it. I was in the military for 8 years and it can bring some strong emotions thinking about those who made the ultimate sacrifice, even more for those not identified. Please support your troops, politics aside they do what they are asked to do. This was a new Judy Gale Roberts pattern with a few modifications.
Making the piece
I have a new respect for those who do fret work and scroll saw. You guys and gals have more patients than me, because I was ready to quit after three attempts at cutting out the letters on this. After putting that saw blade through that little drill hole a million or two times it starts to get really old (I even have the Excalibur saw that feeds the blade from the top). Then near getting finished having a piece in one of the letters break out, I felt like chunking the whole project. Like I said, it took three times to get it right. The pattern called to leave the letters open, but I really did not like the look on that. My son came up with the solution using a technique I have used on some other projects. I made a backer for just the piece with letters, and then filled all the letters with sawdust to save epoxy. I used the air compressor to blow just the few millimeter of the dust out. Then I mixed some ebony sawdust with epoxy to get a black color and filled in the letters. Two coats of epoxy to fill in holes, sanding between each and it was a done deal. I did raise the soldier a lot more than the pattern for to get more of a 3D effect. This piece was made from aspen, Brazilian cherry, wenge, mahogany, purple heart, yellow heart, ebony, standard cherry, curly maple, American maple. No stains were used and it was finished in a semi-gloss poly.
Thanks for Looking
-- If you not making sawdust, your probably wasting your time. Kory