|Project by Roman Hrytsak||posted 07-16-2011 05:38 PM||1389 views||2 times favorited||13 comments|
This was a difficult piece of wood to work with. Not hard enough to put a nice finish to and too soft to make it look good. So I put my carving skills to use and decided on the puzzle. Before I got finished a piece crumbled away from the boot and unto the workshop floor and was in too many bits to be glued back into place, hence the ‘missing piece’. The fragile nature of the wood was a factor.
This is a prototype for my next puzzle as my wife suggested that I improve the design by carving the boot emerging from a pile of puzzle pieces. What a challenge! We’re still talking to each other!
As soon as a suitable piece of wood is found, the new design will come to life.
I used my RAM micromotor caver with ruby and diamond bits to carve the outlines for the puzzle. I also used my burning tool ( RazorTip Pyrography tool) to darken some of the deep edges for contrast. Then I sprayed with a clear lacquer finish.
-- Roman:... there are no mistakes, just opportunities for a design change!