|Project by thiswoodshop||posted 07-16-2011 01:43 AM||1828 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
This was a challenge by it self, the blank was not balanced and it caused some concern when I started with this. I started with a very slow speed just to balance the blank first and once I achieved that I mounted it to my chuck. I oiled the bowl regularly during the process to prevent it from drying to quickly – Don’t know if that is the best idea or not. If anyone have any advice on preventing cracking in a peace whiles turning it please let me know. This was a peace of walnut root that I got from www.Turningblanks.net . I am pretty happy with the outcome of this, hope all my future turning projects turn out much better. I finished it with Minwax Tungoil Finish after a lot of sanding and I must say I really like the wooden look that the peace have. I thinh if i look back on this litle project the sanding was the worst part of it. The grid levels that was used for this where. 60,80,150,220,320 and then a wet sand with 500 and oil. worked really well and provided me with a very smooth finish bowl.
-- Mo... For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind. ~ "Eleanor Everet" - www.thiswoodshop.com