|Project by cathyb||posted 07-15-2011 08:04 PM||1964 views||5 times favorited||15 comments|
So I thought I’d try making one of Andy’s Art Boxes, because they are awesome. Everything was going smoothly until I decided to use a pair of the massive collection of hinges that I have purchased over the years. Once I mortised out the hinges, I realized that my original top was 1/2” too narrow. The piece of koa that was to be medallion was more than big enough. You probably know where this is going…without the medallion, I didn’t have the thickness to really attack the top with my grinder. Initially I was a little bummed by that, but I have to say I don’t mind the final product. I used that piece of koa for the top, took off a much as I dared and added the dividers. The entire box is koa, it took about 17 hours from start to finish. It was great fun and I highly recommend Andy’s blog on Art Boxes for your next project.
You know I can’t leave you without a tip: Do I think my box captures the sheer beauty of Andy’s art boxes, no way, but there’s a caveat. In the process of making this box, it occurred to me that I could attack other pieces of furniture with the same approach. The cabinet that I am currently making will be soon become softer and organic with those sensuous curves. I’ve made the sides and top 7/8” thick to give me plenty of material to work with. Although many woodworkers get frustrated when things don’t “go your way”, nothing could be further from the truth. You have just had a eureka moment. Rejoice and be glad because a whole new creative path has just opened up. SEIZE THE DAY!!!!!!!!
-- cathyb, Hawaii, www.cathyswoodworking.com