|Project by David Grimes||posted 07-14-2011 07:10 AM||4276 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
First, I wish to thank fellow Lumberjocks Mafe and Tedstor for their most excellent chisel rack projects that I favorited and ultimately let influence this project greatly. Thanks, guys !
I have a fairly new collection of Zona razor saws that I wanted to have arranged and readily available for use.
With a single 1/2” by 5 1/2” x 48” piece of red oak, I used exactly half (24”) for the back, then the other half for all of the vertical dividers (13 each because I have 12 saws) and the horizontal fronts (top and bottom).
For the record, the R4512 had no problem with the 1/2” red oak rips ;=)
I then ran the back piece and the two fronts through the 1/4” router table with a round-over bit adjusted to my liking. This was followed by dry-fitting to make sure all was right with the world. It was.
Sanding was accomplished totally (and rather quickly I will add) with the bench mounted ROS I made. I used one 180 grit paper for all sides of all 16 pieces… what’s that ?... 96 sides in less than 15 minutes. Ok, you get it: It works real good.
Time for assembly. I got daughter Lauren to help me in layout for the dividers onto the back. We arranged all the saws from highest TPI to lowest, then started on one end placing each saw against the divider… sliding a square to within 1/16 of the blade edge, then marking lightly… immediately gluing the back of that next divider with five dots of Fastcap 2P-10, then immediately spraying the Fastcap 2P-10 Accelerator to the correct side of the line, and finally attaching the divider quickly (about 3 seconds til it sets) to the edge of the mark. We repeated that procedure until we ran out of saws and space… simultaneously, thankyouverymuch ;=)
Now there are three pieces: the completed back with dividers attached plus the two fronts.
We moved to staining with one application of Minwax Dark Walnut stain and wiped down after 5 minutes. Next was gluing the fronts to the assembly again with the Fastcap 2P-10 CA and accelerator. All together now.
Finally, a few hours later, I sprayed the project with the new Rustoleum Ultimate polyurethane rattle can. Left overnight to dry and a second coat was applied the next morning before I went to work.
Two screws through the pre-drilled holes into my shop wall, then the hanging of the saws completed the project.
Thanks for stopping in.
-- If you're going to stir the pot, think BIG spoon or SMALL boat paddle. David Grimes, Georgia