|Project by Lou_S||posted 07-13-2011 05:22 AM||5640 views||9 times favorited||31 comments|
My first real woodworking project. I started it August 2010 and I finished it February working mostly nights and some Saturdays. It started out as a butcher block that my father-in-law actually butchered on in the 60s until they went to plastic butcher tops in the late 60s. He kept it in his basement as his workbench until 2009, but the original top was deeply gouged with many valleys and dips because the butchers would clean it with giant wire brushes that over the years wore away the hard maple. Some valleys were about an inch below the original top making the original top unusable for what I had in mind for a workbench. So I flipped it over and used the bottom surface (which was not exactly flat either but much better) as my new top. I joined the new edges to add square dog holes and end-caps on the long-ends, so you cannot see the original top unless you look underneath the bench. You can see the color difference between the new wood and the original butcher block. I flattened the new top with a track jig and router, and finished with a random orbital sander. I also added a Veritas twin screw as a side vice and a front vice that I found in my wife’s grandfather’s basement. For the legs I used 16/4 hard maple and 8/4 for everything else. The base is designed to knock-down the long stretchers, and has leveling feet since my garage floor is very uneven by design. I finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish, which is probably the wrong product to use, but it is what I had at the time. 100% pure tung oil or Watco would probably have been better.
Overall I am happy with the result and it is solid as a rock. Eventually I may add drawers, but that long top stretcher, which was probably overkill, takes away a lot of useable space.