|Project by Tedstor||posted 07-09-2011 11:07 PM||4873 views||14 times favorited||4 comments|
I got an 8pc set of Marples chisels off Ebay several weeks back. They were “new-old stock” from the days before Irwin bought the name and arrived in nearly flawless condition. However, despite the fact they came with slip-on chisel tip guards, I noticed they were quickly accumulating some noticable “shop wear” just from being stored loosely in a drawer together. I also have no doubt that I’ll manage to loose the tip guards in the very near future.
The easiest and cheapest solution seemed to be a wall-mounted rack. I (loosely) followed a PopWW plan ( i think by Schwarz).
Pretty simple. A 6×20ish board, followed by gluing the appropriate number of 1/4” thick spacers, followed by 2×20 board glued to the spacers. I then made the bottom/stop by cutting a 3/8” rabbet into another 2×20 board. The larger chisels were slightly thicker than 1/4’, so a bit of chiseling was required to make them fit.
All measurements are approximations from my lousy memory. I used an Ikea “beeswax” finish that I got at a yard sale. Seems to have worked out. I wouldn’t use it on fine furniture, but looks to be a suitable product for projects like this. Easy to apply with no harsh smell.
I like projects like this, since the demensions and asthetics are not critical, and the materials consist of scrap. It gave me the opportunity to practice handsawing, and to experiment with a different finish without worrying too much about the outcome. The name of the game here was to simply produce a usable chisel holder, not necessarily a work of art.
Anyway, all thats left is to make and attach a french cleat once I decide where to mount it on the wall.