LumberJocks

TV Console

  • Advertise with us
Project by DamnYankee posted 07-04-2011 03:22 AM 1436 views 3 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is a TV console I made for my sister. I was asked to make it probably about 9 months ago. That’s what you get when you have a “hobbiest” make your furniture for you.

The design is a modification of one I saw in FWW for a 5’ or taller Entertainment Center.

The wood is Baltic Birch 3/4 plywood and poplar (actually only the legs and the side stripping in poplar).

It is finished with shellac and three coats of poly and a coat of wax. The top has several coats of wax (about 7).

The drawers are full extension.

The photos were taken in my separate finishing room (what other uneducated people might call a garage). I tend to finish in the garage because 1 -its ventilated, 2 – I don’t want to drip/spray/drop/etc finishing stuff in my workroom, 3 – while waiting between coats I can clean up my workshop all the mess I made making the project, and 4 – not so much dust lingering in the air to get into the finish.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards





8 comments so far

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

14134 posts in 2343 days


#1 posted 07-04-2011 04:44 AM

Very nicely done!

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Mathew Nedeljko's profile

Mathew Nedeljko

641 posts in 2582 days


#2 posted 07-04-2011 05:19 AM

Great work on this project Rob…very nice. I really like the side stripes, and the finish is excellent!

-- Aim high. Ride easy. Trust God. Neale Donald Walsch

View Tag84's profile

Tag84

573 posts in 1409 days


#3 posted 07-04-2011 11:28 AM

Really nice! great colors!

-- -Thomas -

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

3240 posts in 1315 days


#4 posted 07-04-2011 02:31 PM

Funny thing those stripes…..they got added because as I was moving it to the “finishing room” I discovered a slight gauge along the side (don’t really know how or when it happened) so the stripes were added to hide it as they were deep enough I could not sand it out and given the finish ( clear) I didn’t want to fill (besides sanding the filler would have cause problems).

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

View workerinwood's profile

workerinwood

2715 posts in 1820 days


#5 posted 07-04-2011 03:50 PM

Great job, looks great!!

-- Jack, Albuquerque

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13347 posts in 2426 days


#6 posted 07-04-2011 05:50 PM

Nicely done.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View WRAAdesign's profile

WRAAdesign

46 posts in 1151 days


#7 posted 11-13-2011 06:11 PM

The two-tone is a great touch. Can you elaborate on how you created the side stripes? From your description it sounds like they are independent pieces from the plywood, but from the pictures they look flush with the surface. Please share!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/WRAAdesign/142679579165522

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

3240 posts in 1315 days


#8 posted 11-14-2011 12:04 AM

WRAA the strips are resawn pieces of poplar I glued to the side. I had to add them after I had made the cabinet but before I finished it. A piece of dried glue nub had gotten stuck to the inside of the moving blanket I used to protect it when I moved it from my workshop to my finishing room (aka the garage) and had rubbed a few mars into the side in kind of a curve. After much diliberation and cusing the strips are what I came up with to cover the mars.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase