|Project by JimNEB||posted 07-02-2011 04:04 PM||1231 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
Last winter my wife decided we needed to redo one of the upstairs bedrooms, hmmm. Well after tearing out the old paneling, putting up new walls and ceiling, refinishing the floor, and putting all new trim up. We decided that the old day bed that was metal and all rickety, needed to be replaced. I had a set of plans for an Arts and Crafts style day bed that my wife made some alterations to, which would be the basis of the project. The project is made from red oak, she wanted the finish to match an old dresser that was already in the room. To match as best I could I first used a red mahogany stain, and I put a coat of dark walnut over that. After several coats of tung oil I had a fair match. I left some tool marks, on the pieces to give it a little bit of a warn look to match the dresser and our old house. One challenge I had was to make it so we could carry it up in pieces. Our stairs have a narrow 90 degree turn that has to be negotiated. So with the frame off it breaks down into the two sides and the back. In the last picture you can see the pull out mattress that slips underneath.
-- Jim, Nebraska