|Project by John Cleary||posted 06-24-2011 01:32 PM||2760 views||4 times favorited||12 comments|
This is my first attempt at one of ANDYS ART BOXES.
I started with the idea of doing it in cheap wood (white deal), getting fimiliar with the process and learning from my mistakes, of which there was many.
My biggest mistake was not sealing the wood before staining as the box was very patchy, so i kept darkening the wood with extra stain in the hope it would even out.
I used an orbital sander with P60 sanding sheet to get the shape into the wood and finished with a 120 sanding sheet done by hand ( of which i should have done more of).
I ended up putting 3 coats of red mahogony stain and 4 coats of satin varnish.
Will post photo’s of the finished box later.
I am now looking forwarding to making 2 more for my wedding in September as presents to my Mam and Mother in law.
Sorry for the poor quality of the photo’s.
I’d like to thank Andy for his easy to understand tutorial and for taking the time to share his expert craftsmanship with all on the site, i for one am very grateful to him for doing so.
-- crumbs make bread--