|Project by Karson||posted 06-23-2011 08:48 PM||3657 views||6 times favorited||24 comments|
My daughter just bought an old farmhouse and they are setting up to plant flowers and a vegetable garden.
I had some wood stacked on sawhorses in front of my shop for about 4 years and so I thought I’d build her a Potting Bench.
The wood was identified by the sawmill owner as Atlantic White Cedar. I’ve got some additional wood that looks the same and their father who was the sawmill owner called it Cedar Cypress. Cypress trees lose their leaves in winter, Cedar trees don’t and they said that this was Cypress and they kept their leaves so it was called Cedar cypress. They used it for years as shingles and barn repair wood on their and their neighbors farms. So I’ll call it something.
The wood has a cedar smell and it is quite oily, definitely an outdoor wood. I can’t believe that the scrap that I had left wouldn’t even fill a shoe box. The planks were 1X6 X 10, 1X8 X 10 and 1X4 X 10.
The bench is 47” long and 24” wide. I used 6 planks across the top 2 surfaces and they were 1 X 3 7/8 with a 1/8 gap. I used Gorilla glue to glue it together because of the wood oils and also the outdoors environment. The legs were 2X4 premium treated lumber that is treated with Thompson’s water Seal so they are light in color instead of the green tint. The legs were joined together with bead lock loose tenons at the joints. I used 1/2” tenons. They were made with beech lumber about 10 years ago. I made a bunch of different sizes and use then as needed. I used Titebond 3 for the glue on the joints of the tenons.. Each end was made with 1 – 8’ 2×4. The front was 32” and the cross pieces were 15”, The back leg was 36”. The legs were 22” across and the top is 24” On the bottom shelf the top overhangs by about 1/4” on each side on the top the overhang was 1 1/8” on each side.
The top shelf assembly is glued and screwed but it is not glued where it attaches to the bottom carcus. Just screws. So it can be taken off if desired. The upper shelf supports are offset from the lower shelf supports so that screws could be driven through the shelf into the support.
All of the top surfaces were screwed down by the use of glue strips on the brace supports underneath and then screwed up into the surface planks so there are no visible screws in the decking surface. All screws were stainless screws 2” in length.
The plugs that I used on the back to assemble the shelving were made from Spanish Cedar and were glued in place using epoxy glue. Again to get a good bond on the oily wood.
The plugs were one of those “Measure once, Cut twice” moments. I thought the screw holes were 9/16” and so I made 60 Spanish Cedar plugs in that size. While trying the first one I determined that the plugs needed to be 3/8” so I had to make another 60 plugs. The plugs are all end grain. I drilled the plugs into the end of a board held in a vise and then cut off with the bandsaw. And, then drill again. Throw away all plugs with a flat side. You know the concept of make busy work.
The boards were all ripped to size using a bandsaw with a carbide blade. The surface needed only light sanding.
The plans came from Kitchen Gardener Archive January 1998 Issue #12.
I changed the size to 48” long because my daughter wanted to use it in a small greenhouse.
I hadn’t seen his until I was almost done and I went searching on LJ for potting benches.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †